Grant Davis President of GDI Insurance Agency likes to bake!
Here is his favorite bread recipe!
- 3 cups warm water
- 2 (.25 ounces) packages of dry yeast
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup flax meal
- 3 tblsp butter, melted
- Cinnamon/ stevia/ oats (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix warm water, yeast and 1/3 cup honey. Add 5 cups whole wheat flour, and stir to combine. Let set for 30 minuter, or until big and bubbly.
- Mix in 3 tablespoons melted butter, 1/3 cup honey, and salt. Stir in 2 cups whole wheat flour. Flour a flat surface and knead with whole wheat flour/flax meal until not real sticky - just pulling away from the counter, but still sticky to touch. This may take an additional 2 to 4 cups of whole wheat flour. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with a dishtowel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Punch down, and divide into 3 loaves. Place in greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans, and allow to rise until dough has topped the pans by one inch.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes; do not overbake. Lightly brush the tops of loaves with 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine when done to prevent crust from getting hard. Cool completely
You can also add cinnamon and stevia for a low calorie extra sweetener. Grant likes to add oats to the top of the dough before baking.