GDI Insurance Agency
To Hold 5th Annual
CIG - Community Safety Saturday™
May 16th 2015
See you on May 16 2015 at GDI in Turlock!
More on Past Events Below!
Free Event Featuring Activities For Children,
Teens And Adults At:
Hilmar Cheese Company, May 16,2015
Hilmar’s own Dot-Marie Jones, two-time Primetime Emmy® Award nominee for her role as Coach Shannon Beiste on the hit TV show Glee, will be on-site to sign autographs and the anti-bullying book "Just Like You"!
Hilmar, CA (April 2013) –- (2015 event is May 16 10am-2pm at GDI 801 Geer rd Turlock). The free, family-friendly event is sponsored by Capital Insurance Group® (CIG) and is expected to attract hundreds of attendees. Community Safety Saturday will feature many fun activities and demonstrations focusing on child, teen, family and community safety. Young children, teens and adults alike will enjoy free games, prizes, food and a wealth of information and resources from many different booths staffed by local and regional organizations.
Hilmar's own Dot-Marie Jones, two-time Primetime Emmy® Award nominee for playing Coach Shannon Beiste on the hit TV show Glee, will meet attendees and sign autographs and copies of Robert Kroupa’s new anti-bullying book for kids, Just Like You. The book is about Henry, a deaf field mouse, and Boris, a spider with bad legs, who both get bullied but stick together through thick and thin.
Dot remarks, "I'm excited to be invited to participate in Community Safety Saturday and to have the opportunity to meet people and sign the anti-bullying book Just Like You. So many kids have told me that they love my character on the TV show Glee, but they didn't like it when I got bullied! Bullying is never good in any circumstance, especially for kids. The truth is, when I was growing up, I was bullied and called all sorts of names because of my size. I had to learn how to accept myself and be OK with who I was. My message is we are all made differently for a reason. It is up to us to determine what we'll do with it."
Grant W. Davis, President of GDI Insurance Agency, remarked, “We are looking forward to an outstanding 3rd Annual Community Safety Saturday event this year! As we focus on family safety, awareness is always the first step in prevention. Community Safety Saturday brings families and safety resources together in a fun environment. We are very excited to hold the event at Hilmar Cheese Company, and we are thrilled that Dot-Marie Jones, as well as Marc Klaas of the KlaasKids Foundation, will be at this year’s event!”
One of the important features of the event is a child car-seat safety inspection station that will be operated by the California Highway Patrol Office–Merced County. Expert technicians will check for proper installation and give parents and caregivers critical information about installing car seats correctly for their particular child and vehicle. As of January 1, 2012, California Law restricts where and how a child may occupy a vehicle, based on the child’s age and height. According to the California Highway Patrol, children are at greater risk when riding in the front seat, and a child’s injury risk is reduced 33% when the child is moved from the front seat to the back.
Another main attraction will be provided by Marc Klaas of the KlaasKids Foundation, who advises, “Most parents don’t know what to do first if their child disappears. We supply families with child identification tools.” These tools include digital fingerprinting and photo IDs, take-home DNA kits and a 9-point safety plan. Klaas remarks, “The best way to avoid victimization is through education and knowledge, and that is what KlaasKids provides at the Print-A-Thon.” Klaas will also debut exciting new child safety technology products including the Cocoon, a browser that utilizes the Cloud to protect privacy and provide age-appropriate, safe websites, and Polly’s Guardian Angel, a missing-child alert system for iPhone and Android. Adds Klaas, “KlaasKids believes that technology has advanced to the point that certain applications can and do protect children from those wishing to exploit them.”
Community Safety Saturday also features the following free activities:
- Cal Fire–Merced County and Hilmar Volunteer Fire Department will bring a fire engine and rescue vehicle and will also teach attendees what to do in case of a fire in the home.
- Merced County Sheriff's Office will bring a S.W.A.T. truck, squad car, and additional equipment. Dogs from their K-9 unit will be on-hand to carry out demonstrations.
- Hilmar Unified School District Transportation Department will bring a school bus and provide demonstrations and information about bus safety and evacuation drills.
- Riggs Ambulance Service will bring an ambulance for people to tour and games for kids.
- American Red Cross–Central Valley Region will bring emergency preparation information and activities, including a spin wheel with trivia questions and prizes.
- Boy Scouts of America–Greater Yosemite Council will provide emergency survival and safety information.
- Girl Scouts Heart of Central California will bring mini-first aid kits.
- California Department of Boating and Waterways will provide 30 life jackets as prize giveaways, as well as free materials about safe boating practices.
- California Emergency Management Agency will bring educational materials about preparing for earthquakes and other emergencies.
- Turlock Irrigation District Water & Power will provide information about electrical and water safety and will give away Dexter Duck coloring books.
- Hilmar Future Farmers of America (FFA) will provide information about farm equipment safety.
- Hilmar Farm Watch will pass out emergency contact information.
- Merced County Office of Education’s Caring Kids Program will provide children’s activities and offer strategies to promote children's healthy social-emotional development, including behavior management tips and other effective parenting strategies.
- Merced County Office of Education Head Start will have free art activities for children, as well as information regarding educational development services for infants, toddlers and preschool-aged children.
- Creative Alternatives Foster Family Agency will provide information about foster care.
- Jessica’s House will provide information about their peer support groups for children and teens who have experienced the death of a loved one.
- Hilmar Community Health Center will promote awareness of immunizations and provide educational resources.
- One Circle Foundation will provide information about their training programs that promote resiliency and healthy relationships in children, teens and adults.
- Hilmar High School Cheerleaders will perform cheerleading routines throughout the event.
- Radio station KHOP 95.1 will provide music and prizes.
In addition to the above activities and exhibits, a drawing will be held at the end of Community Safety Saturday at which several exciting prizes will be given away, including a Kindle Fire Tablet, a Bluetooth® headset, an emergency radio and a roadside safety kit.
Sandie Borthwick, Corporate Marketing Manager for CIG, remarks, "We are always very proud to partner once again with community safety-oriented public services and GDI Insurance Agency. CIG’s Community Safety Saturday was born from our concern and commitment to keep children and families safe.”
For more information about the event, please go to www.cigsafetysaturday-hilmar.com
About Capital Insurance Group:
Capital Insurance Group® (CIG) is the leading regional property and casualty insurer serving the Western U.S. since 1898. CIG insures Personal Auto, Homeowners, Farmowners, Condo Owners, Vacation Property, Renters, Apartment Building Owners, and many kinds of Commercial and Agricultural Auto and Property. The 115 year-old company is rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best, the independent financial monitor of the insurance industry. CIG has been selected for the Ward’s 50 as one of the safest and most efficient property/casualty insurers in the U.S. CIG manages personal, business, and agriculture risks underwritten by its affiliate companies: California Capital Insurance Company, Eagle West Insurance Company, Nevada Capital Insurance Company, and Monterey Insurance Company. Types of policies may vary from state to state. For more information, please visit:
CIG DELIVERS MORE. Continuously.™
About The KlaasKids Foundation
The KlaasKids Foundation was established by Marc Klaas in 1994 to give meaning to the death of his twelve-year-old daughter, kidnap and murder victim Polly Hannah Klaas, and to create a legacy in her name that would be protective of children for generations to come. The foundation’s mission is to stop crimes against children by providing education and knowledge to the general public and promoting partnerships with concerned citizens, the private sector, organizations, law enforcement and legislators.
Please join us for this fun and educational event. Everyone is welcome and we promise you'll have a blast!
We are honored and excited to announce that Community Safety Saturday is now officially proclaimed as an annual community event by the cities of Turlock and Patterson! Click the official proclamations below to see them in full:
We have also received letters of special recognition from US Congressman J. Denham and California State Senator Anthony Cannella! Click below to see the official certificates:
We want to say a big thank you to Congressman J. Denham, Senator Anthony Cannella, and to the city of Turlock and city of Patterson for their recognition, support and shared belief in the importance of community safety!
ABOUT PAST EVENTS
Community Safety Saturday s always a big hit!
Thanks to everyone that has come to GDI Insurance Agency's Community Safety Saturday event for the past 2 years.
Community Safety Saturday is always a great time of fun and learning for everyone involved.
Below is a link to some Facebook Photos from past events:
You can also click any image below to see more photos and information from past Community Safety Saturdays!
CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE PHOTOS
If you have any questions or want to get involved, please call GDI Insurance Agency at (209) 634-2929.
WE CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU THERE!!